Friday, December 24, 2010

Five Star Breakfast


So, I was sitting this morning with my huge Starbucks mug filled with freshly brewed coffee and that Coffeemate French Vanilla creamer that I love so much. And I was content.

That is, until my dad asked if I wanted an omelette with smoked salmon and caviar...

Coffee? Or a gourmet breakfast? Hmmm, tough choice.

I decided to take matters into my own hands and, instead of my dad's omelette, made a poached egg. I remembered the L'aneth et citron vert dijon mustard that I brought back from France, which I bought specifically for smoked salmon (dill and lime flavored). I hadn't used it yet and I honestly couldn't wait any longer. Plus, I bought it with Dad in mind and I knew that he'd like it, too.

Poaching eggs is one of those scary, let's-just-not-go-there techniques that I've always avoided. The few times I did go there, I ended up with a boiled yolk and a hand full of stringy, nasty egg whites. I really never thought it was worth it... until today.

I'd heard that vinegar helps keep the egg together, and read that the water should be just simmering. So with those techniques in mind, I made my first perfect poached egg! It's healthier, prettier, and just as easy as frying. And it made me feel kind of fancy.


Five Star Breakfast
[1] slice hearty whole wheat bread (I used When Pigs Fly 100% Whole Wheat)
[1] tbsp cream cheese
[1] tsp flavored Dijon (optional)
[2-3] slices smoked salmon
[1] egg
[2] tbsp white vinegar
[1] tsp black lumpfish caviar
chives for garnish

Fill a saucepan with about 2 inches of water and bring it to a simmer (just before the boiling point). Add 2 tbsp of vinegar and carefully drop in 1 egg-- I cracked it into a small bowl first. Let it cook for about 4 minutes, using a metal slotted spoon to collect the stray egg whites. After about 4 minutes the yolk will be runny and... perfect!

Meanwhile toast the bread and spread on the cream cheese and mustard. Layer the smoked salmon, then the egg. Top with caviar and a couple springs of chive.

It's such an easy and impressive breakfast that really feels gourmet.


Heaven. 

No comments: