Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Winning: Pasta with Broccoli and Yum




Disclaimer: I hate jumping on the band wagon. Especially when a particular topic has been beaten to death (via status updates/album titles/photo captions/tweets YES I HAVE TWITTER NOW @taryneleanor... follow me).  


But Charlie Sheen is special case... 


For whatever reason, when I was writing this recipe, his fun little catchphrase came to mind. And although I could try to explain the addicting garlicky cheesiness of this pasta, Chuck just has such a way with words. So I'll pay tribute here, to a man whom I personally hate, but whose words have touched us all.  Here's what the great American poet of our generation has to say:

"It's perfect. It's awesome. Every day is just filled with just wins. All we do is put wins in the record books. We win so radically in our underwear before our first cup of coffee, it's scary. People say it's lonely at the top, but I sure like the view."

Thanks, Chuck. Couldn't have said it better myself. 



This pasta is just that-- one for the record books. A bowl of wins. Make this pasta, and you'll get it. 


Flavorful + filling = winning


Shout out to all you cheese-loving normalvores out there-- fear not. You can easily swap out the vegan cheese for something more your style, maybe mozzarella or parmesan. Or if you're anything like my roomies... both! Love them. And I promise I don't judge.


So without further a-do (?), here's how I made it:


Garlic Lemon Pasta with Broccoli & Sun-dried Tomato
[2] oz pasta shells
[1/2] cup broccoli
[1/3] cup vegan cheese (daiya really is the best)
[1] garlic clove
[1/2] lemon juice
[1] tbsp sun dried tomato, minced
[2] tsp olive oil
[1] tbsp chopped basil or parsley
salt
cracked pepper


Start by bringing a pot of water to a boil. Once it's boiling, add a considerable pinch of salt and cook pasta until al dente.


Meanwhile, steam the broccoli. I find that it's easiest to do this in a microwave. Just fill a microwavable bowl with about 1/4 inch water, add broccoli, and cover. Microwave for about 2 minutes, or until broccoli is bright green and tender.


Cook garlic in a small sautee pan with 1 tsp of olive oil until it starts to turn color. Add sun dried tomato and continue cooking for about 1 minute.


Once pasta is cooked, drain and return to pan. Add broccoli, garlic and sun dried tomato, cheese, lemon juice, salt, pepper, and remaining olive oil. Combine and transfer to a dish. Top with fresh herbs.


Take a bite and try not to pass out.
Yum-Oh

No comments: