Friday, April 29, 2011

A Royal Marriage

I want to be a princess. There, I said it. 

Watching this regal shindig has brought me RIGHT back to being four years old, when Disney princesses pretty much ruled the planet. There wasn't any
one or anything that could top them. Aside from maybe the Spice Girls, but that wouldn't happen for at least more five years. 

Today,
this bitch Kate the Duchess of Cambridge has literally vitalized the fairy tale that we all (admit it) dreamed of. After tuning in for a mere 10 minutes, I've turned into a total sap. There's no other way to say it-- the wedding was breathtaking. 

Right now, I'm planning to do one of two things:

1) Watch Sleeping Beauty, Cinderella, and Snow White-- back to back... to back-- while playing "Someday My Prince Will Come" on repeat.
2) Switch gears immediately so that I don't wind up in a bar somewhere wearing a crooked tiara. 

For everyone's sake, I'll go with the latter. And perhaps just not tell anyone about the first one. 


So
voilà, here's une recette for a charming salad that may (or may not) distract you from the bleak reality of our regrettably unroyal lives. 

-------------



Fennel and grapefruit salads have been done for years. Nice combo, but so vanilla.


Now, I love 'em both-- I do. But they needed some oomph. For this recipe, I started with the classic duo, then brought it back to life with a some fresh ideas. Sometimes, even the most perfect pairings could use a little spice.


In this case, the performance enhancers came in the form of keylime and cumin (with a dash of red pepper flakes). Now, that's what I call
caliente

-------------

If produce could be cute, a keylime would take the cake for fruity cuteness. Their miniature size, slight sweetness, and tropical reputation make these little guys a treat to cook with. I found a whole bag of them for about $2, which only added to my puppy love. If you can find them, grab a bag. You could use them in any recipe that calls for your average lime, but as I said, it's much more romantic when you switch things up.

Fennel and Grapefruit Salad 
with Keylime Herb Vinaigrette
Serves 2

[1/2] fennel bulb, thinly sliced

[2] grapefruits, sectioned
[1] tbsp chopped basil
[1] tbsp chopped fennel fronds
[2-3] tbsp keylime juice, or about 4 small keylimes
[1] tsp agave nectar
[1] tsp olive oil
salt
cumin
red pepper flakes

Slice the fennel as thin as you can get it, using a sharp, finely serrated knife. To section the grapefruits, cut off the outer peel and pith (white, bitter stuff), and use a small paring knife to wedge out the individual juicy segments. 


Add fennel, grapefruit, chopped basil and fennel fronds to a medium bowl. 


In a small bowl, combine keylime juice, agave, olive oil, salt, cumin, and a dash of red pepper flakes. Pour the dressing over the salad and you'll have an unexpected twist on a classic recipe. 

No comments: