Monday, April 25, 2011

Vegetarian Yellow Curry


There was a time, not too long ago, when I would not go near a curry dish.

Had I ever tried it? Well, not exactly. But anything that reminded me of sweaty-man-pit was staying far away my dinner plate. 

Fortunately, I relinquished my naive preconceptions on a trip to London last semester. Outside of India, London is pretty much the capital of curried cuisine. And if I was going to try Indian food anywhere, this was my chance. 

Holy Shiva. To say that I fell in love would be an understatement. In between bites of garlicky naan and spicy Chana Masala, I was hating myself for refusing to try this sooner. Each dish was spicy in a way that didn't singe my tastebuds, and flavorful in a way that I'd definitely never experienced before.

That motley indian feast that I shared with my Dad and sister remains to be my most memorable. You can bet that I rolled out of that place with more than a full belly, but also a new appreciaition for an entirely foreign cuisine. I brought my excitement for curry back with me to Paris, and it's still one of my favorite flavors. 

Luckily, I found a curry dish (though Thai, not Indian) that I cannot get enough of. And I don't need a plane ticket to have it... just thirteen bucks.

It's Simply Thai's Tofu Yellow Curry with brown rice, and after ordering a couple dozen times, I realized it was time to make it myself. At least for my wallet's sake. 

Not to toot my own horn or anything, but this vegetarian curry dish had me asking Simply Who? I was pleasantly surprised to find that my version was almost exact-- only better. (And unlike Anna's Thai Sushi, it didn't make me sick. But that's a different story). As I write this, I'm having a hard time resisting the urge to run and make it again.  

The kicker? I prepared it using only my microwave. With the leftovers from my Thai Coconut Curry Sauce, a little tweaking, and some easy steamed veggies, I had a meal in less than 10 minutes. Whether I was still on a high from nailing my go-to takeout meal, or whether this recipe is actually my new favorite, it's guaranteed to satisfy. 


Vegetarian Yellow Curry
Makes 2 servings 


[1] cup Thai Coconut Curry Sauce
[1/2] tsp curry powder
[1/2] tbsp low sodium soy sauce
[1] medium sweet potato
[1/2] cup chopped yellow onion
[1] tbsp chopping scallion

Add the curry power and soy sauce to the remaining Coconut Curry Sauce. Mix and heat in the microwave for about 2 minutes.

Using a metal fork, poke multiple holes in the sweet potato. Microwave for 3 minutes on one side, then flip and heat for an additional 2 minutes. Let potato cool slightly and cut into 1 inch cubes.

Next, steam chopped in onion in a microwave safe dish with a tablespoon of water for about 2 minutes. To replicate the Simply Thai version exactly, you could also add tofu and steamed carrots.

Finally, pour the hot curry sauce over the chopped vegetables. Garnish with fresh scallions and a little rice, then relish in the fact that a delicious meal like this took just 10 minutes... minus the hassle of takeout.

Pretty soon, the only menu you'll be mulling over will be on date night, when the chances of you paying are... 50/50. (Because after all, we are at Elon).


I added a little leftover rice, too!

No comments: